Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a Hindrance for having a Damning Secret

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Help with a Hindrance for having a Damning Secret Reply with quote

I'm working on creating a con game that is a Zombie Apocalypse setting, where one of the PC's has a hand in creating the zombies.

I think this probably warrants a drawback since keeping it a secret will be difficult once zombies start to run rampant, but I can't find any suitable Hindrances.

Should I use enemy and assume the zombies (and party members possibly turning on the character) ARE the enemy?!

Thanks,
Shoe
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what the secret is, maybe reskin Bloodthirsty. A -2/04 Chr penalty when the secret gets out. If major or minor depends on how likely it will come into play. (for Bloodthirsty, it comes out quick since its combat related, so it will apply alot).
Shoe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amerigoV wrote:
Depending on what the secret is, maybe reskin Bloodthirsty. A -2/04 Chr penalty when the secret gets out. If major or minor depends on how likely it will come into play. (for Bloodthirsty, it comes out quick since its combat related, so it will apply alot).

The secret is that he is involved and well aware that Monsanto was creating zombies
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Secret from RoC would work, like Bloodthirsty the penalty applies to those who know your secret, and if it becomes public you also gain Wanted or Enemy (IIRC). For the other hindrance, several settings define it as minor or major if you have one or many people you need to look after.
Shoe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is RoC? I'm relatively new to this, this is my 3rd savage worlds game, I played in one, ran one (that already had pregens) and this is my first game I will run where i have to create the characters
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Realms of Cthulhu. Most settings are referred to with an abbreviation.
Shoe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Secret is perfect, wish I had the book, but I had to guess at what it does from interweb research.
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe wrote:

The secret is that he is involved and well aware that Monsanto was creating zombies

Sounds like plants vs. zombies! Or is it just plant-zombies vs. the world?
Shoe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the idea is that the goverment gave monsanto a contract to develop chemical weapons after the side effects of Agent Orange were discovered. Now Agent Z has been in the testing phazes for a long time and then there was an excaped zombie from the Monsanto Plant in Sauget, IL (a place i used to live near and hear all kinds of stories about from my wife)
Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Secret Hindrances, I give them a value (Major or Minor) of whatever Hindrance the character would end up with if their Secret was discovered and became general knowledge.

For example, if it would result in the character being being shunned (they'd get the Outsider Hindrance) I'd call it a Minor Secret Hindrance.

If it would result in the law coming after them for a capital crime that carries a life sentence, (Major Wanted Hindrance) then its a Major Secret.

This simplifies the bookkeeping: the value of the Secret remains the same once someone discovers the truth (which has a tendency to happen) and it's no longer a secret. It just gets replaced with another Hindrance of equal value, and the game moves on....
TheQuestion
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with Xavier, it sounds like just making the hindrance Major, and calling it "Dark Secret" would be enough, I do the same thing when I want something like "Responsibilities [Child] (Major)"
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering imposing the Bad Luck hindrance on a character whose major secret had been revealed to represent people being less firendly, resources drying up etc
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
I was considering imposing the Bad Luck hindrance on a character whose major secret had been revealed to represent people being less firendly, resources drying up etc

You could. But that is really boring. Far more interesting is to give him Enemies or Wanted or some other hindrance that provides choices and interactions.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In gurps the rule for a secret was it would be replaced by something if you are found out. If the secret is, "this person helped create the apocalypse", what happens when people find out?

If they try to kill him, Enemy
If they don't want anything to do with him, some kind of negative charisma

ask the player what happens when it's discovered, and base it on that

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
In gurps the rule for a secret was it would be replaced by something if you are found out. If the secret is, "this person helped create the apocalypse", what happens when people find out?

If they try to kill him, Enemy
If they don't want anything to do with him, some kind of negative charisma

ask the player what happens when it's discovered, and base it on that

This is a good approach, both from a game design and a role playing perspective. The basic question is: if the character has a secret, is the thing they're hiding a valid hindrance itself? If it's not, then they probably shouldn't take a hindrance for hiding it. If it is, then the questions of how to value the secret (major v. minor), and what happens when it's discovered are simple to answer.

For role playing purposes, you've got a built in plan for what happens when the secret is discovered: a new hindrance that's ready to drop in place of the secret, agreed upon in advance with the player.

For game design purposes, this is also good, because you don't have to worry about recalculating the character's Hindrance point totals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: