Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Persuasion be used in Combat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Can Persuasion be used in Combat? Reply with quote

If a character is very persuasive (lots of bonuses to charisma and a high persuasion skill), can they use it in combat, e.g., fooling monsters? My instinct is no, you would need to do a Smarts Trick or Taunt. Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can Persuasion be used in Combat? Reply with quote

PencilBoy99 wrote:
If a character is very persuasive (lots of bonuses to charisma and a high persuasion skill), can they use it in combat, e.g., fooling monsters? My instinct is no, you would need to do a Smarts Trick or Taunt. Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.

Persuasion has no specific use in combat on it's own. A GM might allow its use for noncombat purposes during combat as they have discretion on how long it takes to use skills.

Such as, "I'll double your pay to switch sides."

For actual combat use, some settings have an Edge or variant of an Edge that allows using Persuasion for Tests of Will. Since Persuasion benefits from Charisma bonuses unavailable (usually, though again, Edges) to Taunt and Intimidation, requiring an Edge helps balance it out.

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the edge. Do you know which setting has it so I can buy it?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PencilBoy99 wrote:
I like the edge. Do you know which setting has it so I can buy it?

Are you running a particular setting or genre? That way maybe I can suggest a source that provides other useful stuff too.

www.peginc.com
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accursed!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PencilBoy99 wrote:
Accursed!

Hard call, but oddly enough maybe Slipstream. It might be the least expensive too, as you would just need the Player's Guide PDF.

Someone else more familiar with Accursed may have a better idea though.

www.peginc.com
John_Dunn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
PencilBoy99 wrote:
Accursed!

Hard call, but oddly enough maybe Slipstream. It might be the least expensive too, as you would just need the Player's Guide PDF.

Accursed has a number of different Edges which can enable players to gain exceptionally high Charisma bonuses. (Especially Dhampir.) We haven't included an Edge to use Persuasion in combat because of this, and I wouldn't recommend it.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_Dunn wrote:
Clint wrote:

Accursed has a number of different Edges which can enable players to gain exceptionally high Charisma bonuses. (Especially Dhampir.) We haven't included an Edge to use Persuasion in combat because of this, and I wouldn't recommend it.

And that's why you go to the creator if you can! Very Happy

That said (and John can correct me if I'm wrong), it might be possible to use such an Edge as long as Charisma bonuses didn't apply to combat use.

It's the kind of thing where a character's appearance, personality, or pale and tragic aura just doesn't have time to come into play. It's a straight up Persuasion roll.

On the flipside, Charisma penalties wouldn't apply either, so the Edge would be equally useful to someone with a severe negative Charisma. They can't do well over time, but in the heat of the moment, they have a chance.

Then if a player wanted to specialize, another Edge might allow a bonus just to combat use and perhaps some other effect. Maybe something like...

Distracting
Requirements: Novice, Smarts d6+, Persuasion d8+, [Edge to use Persuasion for Test of Wills]

You get a +2 to Persuasion when used in combat for a Test of Will and if you get a raise on the opposed roll, you may choose another character within your Smarts die type in inches to gain the +2 bonus to affect the target in addition to yourself.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: