Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NE] Killing Them Left & Right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paladintodd
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: [NE] Killing Them Left & Right Reply with quote

So our Necessary Evil game has gotten started (no SPC) and, well, there is LOTS and LOTS of damage going around.

One fight saw the Hammer of Justice attack our utility character. d12+d12+3d6, I forget the exact number but the character went from health to incap in 1 shot.

The Hammer got defeated so the Brick in our party took his maul. He's doing d12+4 (STR) + d12 Maul + 4d6 melee attack. That's 31 points on average. And he has fighting as d12+2, so every hit is pretty much instant death on any target. (Yeah, he's a minmax nightmare. Took all his powers through a device: Attribute bumps, Skill Bumps, Toughness).

In the Blood Sport tale, 8 drones with heavy blasters dealt out a LOT of damage. Sure, they didn't hurt the brick much but the super sorcerer was incap quickly (Toughness 7, average damage 10.5, a wound nearly each shot), the range attack gal was down quickly (same lower end toughness).

3 battles so far, 3 incap PCs.

It's feeling like the minmax character ended up with a way more powerful character than the rest of the party and that all the fights are coming down to "who wins initiative" destroys the opposition.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That can happen quite easily with the SPC especially. I'm learning that it can hapen quite easily with the SFC too...but I digress.

The Brick certainly has something that he 'min'd to max out his other attributes, probably smarts, maybe spirit. Simple answer: anything that requires a smarts roll. Mind Control is an option, though not my favorite. But anything else that requires a smarts roll would work. And if he has devices...devices can be broken. Explosions may not wound him...but what about his devices?

One more thing, per the RAW, super devices don't work in the hands of another super unless it's invent, then it can but with penalties. So you COULD have the Hammer 'run out of juice' or something, I don't know the exact description of the weapon, so I can't suggest an exact reason.

Does that help?
Jounichi
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paladintodd wrote:
It's feeling like the minmax character ended up with a way more powerful character than the rest of the party and that all the fights are coming down to "who wins initiative" destroys the opposition.

Yes and no. The nice thing about the V'sori is they cheat. They keep active files on everyone, and add to them with every encounter. They're constantly figuring out ways to counter threats; they have to. If your players aren't building up their defenses then that's one thing. If the Brick has a rediculous Toughness he can still be countered in some other way. Have your V'sori Shaken-lock him by exploiting weaknesses; and telekinetically slamming him with a bus or tank is going to hurt.

tigerguy786 wrote:
One more thing, per the RAW, super devices don't work in the hands of another super unless it's invent, then it can but with penalties. So you COULD have the Hammer 'run out of juice' or something, I don't know the exact description of the weapon, so I can't suggest an exact reason.

That depends on the trappings. The only hard limit is stolen devices cannot stack with existing powers beyond the cap for the power. For example, the Hammer of Justice's "energy maul" is +3d6, so it can only stack with an inherent attack, melee up to a maximum of +6d6. Likewise, multiple iterations of the same modifier don't stack unless there's a hard cap. AP would keep going up and up, but two instances of Focus wouldn't mean jack. I could still fly with a pair of stolen rocket boots, but if they were damaged then I couldn't fix or replace them unless I spent the Power Points.

All that being said, the specific trapping here is "the ability to manifest a crackling hammer of energy from either hand." While the hammer is treated as a device for purposes like being disarmed (to be re-summoned as an action), it's not intended to be stolen and used by someone else.

It's dead, Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: