Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of racial hinderance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfrobbin84
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Cost of racial hinderance Reply with quote

I am working on some home brew races and I'm making a race of rockmen. I want there language to sound like smashing rocks so others can learn it and speak it and vice versa for them and other languages. Basically like Wookies in Star Wars. But I am unsure how to price it I am thing -2 basically seeing it as a major hindrance.
Ashavan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about how you want it to work in play.

Chewbacca's inability to speak Basic doesn't really affect anything in the Star Wars movies. Everyone seems to understand him when he's speaking, and he understands everyone else when they're speaking. If you want it to work like that, then you're looking at a Quirk (-1), at most.

On the other hand, if you want it to cause frequent breakdowns in communication and be a source of real complications in gameplay, then a major Hindrance seems appropriate.
gfrobbin84
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am thinking major cause unlike star wars everyone isn't going to just speak "wookie" and while many of them will learn multiple languages players will still have to choose to learn extra languages and what ones just so they can other stand others and hope others have paid to learn thier language as well.
Jounichi
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a minor hindrance. The Insectoids listed in the SFC don't speak either; rather they communicate among each other with pheromones.

In a setting where everyone is expected to at least understand multiple languages, even if they cannot reproduce the sounds, and where translators are readily available, it's not a big deal.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related discussion here. I'd use the same approach as Bad Eyes; if the drawback can be overcome with a device (glasses in the case of Bad Eyes, translation device in this case) then I'd treat it as a Minor Hindrance, otherwise I'd treat it as a Major Hindrance.
gfrobbin84
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is goning to be a urban fantasy with a tech level around WW II era, so no translator devices
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfrobbin84 wrote:
Well I am thinking major cause unlike star wars everyone isn't going to just speak "wookie" and while many of them will learn multiple languages players will still have to choose to learn extra languages and what ones just so they can other stand others and hope others have paid to learn thier language as well.

To be clear though, is the intent for this to be an actual player chosen race?

Cause if so, consider the effect on gameplay. It's a Hindrance the player has no control over in at least one of its effects.

If NPCs don't speak the language (and as noted above, they won't and there won't be translators), then the player can become exempt in certain situations from roleplaying in a roleplaying game. They simply will not be able to communicate.

Language can be a great challenge on occasion, but if it's continually limiting roleplaying, it can be extremely frustrating to a player.

The Insectoids are pretty much the limit of what I'd do as far as a language Hindrance, so again, just something to consider carefully.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: