Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Magic Dark?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Making Magic Dark? Reply with quote

What setting rules (or house rule) would you suggest for making magic dark but still usable? e.g., on a failure, the caster gains a 'mark' (no shadow, charisma -2 for a day, etc.).

I'm sure someone has already thought of this in a Setting or in one of the Companions and I just don't remember it.

Thanks!
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a copy of Deadlands, strip back your base PP to 5 and offer up the option to every caster to use "Deal with the Devil" mechanics. Whilst it makes the caster a little more powerful, the risks are higher in the long run.

Gives you a caster who can power a small number of spells, but generally has to risk his neck to cast regularly

If you want to offer the UltraEvil option, also use the rules from the Horror Compendium on sacrifice, so if you don't want to risk your neck, you can always offer up someone elses Arrow
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horror Companion has a Corruption mechanic, IIRC, if that's what you're looking for.
UmbraLux
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Magic Dark? Reply with quote

PencilBoy99 wrote:
What setting rules (or house rule) would you suggest for making magic dark but still usable? e.g., on a failure, the caster gains a 'mark' (no shadow, charisma -2 for a day, etc.).

I'm sure someone has already thought of this in a Setting or in one of the Companions and I just don't remember it.

Thanks!
Do you want it purely personal? I prefer to make them voluntary which means they need to be somewhat tempting. Here are a couple ideas along those lines:
- Luck Magic: Gain a +2 to your arcane roll (and damage if applicable) now for granting the GM a -1 to apply to a future roll (of yours).
- Demonic Magic: Gain a +2 now and a -1 (cumulative) to social interaction until dawn on the subsequent day. At -2 animals and children won't stay near you and at -4 townspeople start lynch mobs.
- Vitality Magic: Gain a +4 now and reduce Vigor or Spirit (whichever fits the AB) by a die type until after resting for a full night's sleep.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Making Magic Dark? Reply with quote

UmbraLux wrote:

Do you want it purely personal? I prefer to make them voluntary which means they need to be somewhat tempting. Here are a couple ideas along those lines:
- Luck Magic: Gain a +2 to your arcane roll (and damage if applicable) now for granting the GM a -1 to apply to a future roll (of yours).
- Demonic Magic: Gain a +2 now and a -1 (cumulative) to social interaction until dawn on the subsequent day. At -2 animals and children won't stay near you and at -4 townspeople start lynch mobs.
- Vitality Magic: Gain a +4 now and reduce Vigor or Spirit (whichever fits the AB) by a die type until after resting for a full night's sleep.

Nice idea's.
With the Horror Companions and the sacrifices this could be usefull.
Change the spell Failure table to darker events like demonic possesion, long lingering effects and such things.
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a like button. Thanks!
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a book I read similar to that. You'd cast a spell and have to decide a cost; a headache later that evening, a stiff leg, etc. Some people transferred the cost to others.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying all of the above possibilities.
You could also have any spellcasting be like a beacon for anything nasty in the area: demons, spirits, ghosts, or zombies, you know? Maybe they are just little imps, who start following the mage around until they are either many enough to attack or they get up the gumption to ask for a favor or they will attack. The favor should then be distinctly disturbing and unpleasant and definitely sinful. Alternately it could be woodland spirits looking to inhabit a new tract of forest- for which a housing development has to be burned out.

I think I will like the horror companion better than I know. It moves ever higher on my wishlist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: