Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shane, would you -ever- consider giving lisence to...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi PHi
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Shane, would you -ever- consider giving lisence to... Reply with quote

...a DeadLands animated series.

I only aske because I am going into animation as a profession. Unfortunately I am only just going into school.

I am a huge fan of animation from all over the globe, and I think the medium would lend itself perfectly to DeadLands. Many of the most successful examples from other countries are neck-deep in regional myth, history and religion.

DeadLands is one of only a few settings I can think of that is rich enough to fully flesh out a fantastic world to an audience. And being as its so entrenched in American myth and legend, it would be easy for someone to catch a glimpse of it and recognize something.

Anyway, hate to ramble. Just curious on your thoughts, and the thoughts of the board posters.

[Christopher Lloyd] My God...it'd be beautiful...[/Christopher Lloyd]

-Hi PHi
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like animation, since it's one of the areas where the impossible looks more believable, since the effects don't stick out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hi PHi
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many subtleties could be done with it as well.

As the series progresses, despite the sun, the sky gradually takes on a darker and darker tone, going from a soft orange in the beginning, to a hazy crimson as the final confrontation approaches. Also, animation would be idea for representing the environment altering effects of fear. Without blatantly stating it, you could show fear levels in given areas during the series.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been discussed many times. Cartoon Network was really into it but then had to pass because they couldn't see their way around the guns. (I know--we came up with lots of options too but they had already made up their minds.)

Still trying though.

Shane
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane said:
Quote:
Been discussed many times. Cartoon Network was really into it but then had to pass because they couldn't see their way around the guns.

All I have to say to that is: Adult Swim.

There's more gunfire after 10pm on CN (between Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Big O, Blue Gender, etc, etc.) than most other stations have on all day!
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same network that lets Wile E. pick up a few tons of TNT from a mail-order catalog... has a problem with guns in the old west.

's also MTV, they've put on (and dropped) several *good* animated shows.

Or, the way things are going, Sci-Fi channel might try running it.
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
All I have to say to that is: Adult Swim.

No kidding... We just need network producers to realize animation != cartoon, and we're all set. Maybe then my dreams of a new animated G.I. Joe series will come to life. Wink

Marguerite

Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, all you gotta do is appeal to the people at Adult Swim, i'm sure they'd love to show it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with this is that the network that shows Adult Swim (Showtime?) doesn't do any of the animation...they just air it. You'd need to go directly to an animation studio, convince them to do it, find writers, then convince a network to show it.
It would be cool to see but it would require Shane to spend all his time trying to give birth to the project and I'm guessing his time is already spent doing other things. Wink
lordthrog
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams Stret does a lot of the Adult Swim programming. I don't know how all the licensing works out with the Anime shows (Cowboy BeBop, Trigun, etc.).

"So, what weapon should I use? I'm very proficient with the Spork, but I also swing a mean sock of Legos." - Bucky Katt
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Zero said:
Quote:
The main problem with this is that the network that shows Adult Swim (Showtime?) doesn't do any of the animation...they just air it. You'd need to go directly to an animation studio, convince them to do it, find writers, then convince a network to show it.

Yep, I realize that.

My point was just that they're a bit hypocritical to say that they're anti-gun.
Turtle
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while now I've been planning a 3D animated Deadlands feature based on the adventures of my gaming group over the four years and two settings that we've played. But, as always, I need to get my skills up to par before I undertake such a massive venture.

[size=9]
http://vertrucio.blogspot.com/
Hi PHi
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Cowboy Bebop's syndicate vs. bounty hunters gunfights and some of the implications of the violence in TriGun, I don't think they'd have a problem with the gunplay anymore. The only thing I can see, is that they probably can't allow some of the religious material on the air.

You really couldn't get into DeadLands without at least touching on some more religious aspects.

That would probably be their biggest problem. Now, Cartoon Network is starting to dabble a little with in-house animation (IGPX), but haven't gotten into anything major. However, if it weren't for a signifigant financial backing from CN, The Big "O" season 2 wouldn't have seen the light of day. So if they were willing to back it financially, it would stand a much better chance of landing in a production house.

Guess I can only really cross my fingers, though Wink

Hi PHi
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i don't see how bad the religious content can be when you look at a few of the shows on the air now.
Turtle
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to move this discussion into The Break Room guys.

[size=9]
http://vertrucio.blogspot.com/
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, plus just because they've brought in already-made shows doesn't mean they want to go *creating* new ones that don't exactly fit their bill.

Shane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: