Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***Rules Questions for SW Settings***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HommeTruite wrote:
An NE question for y'all. I couldn't find this in the Settings FAQ pdf, so I'm sorry if it's been asked before:

How do you compute the cost of the Super Edge power when it's supplied by a Device?

Do you:

a) Consider each acquired Super Edge to be its own power costing 1 point, (2 -1 for the Device)?

OR

b) Consider Super Edge to be a single "block" power that grants you a number of Edges, and apply the Device modifier to that block of points?

Check out page 31 under Devices, the paragraph just before "Slow Activation."

"(Note that a device that grants bonuses to several attributes, via the super attribute power, gets a discount only on the total since that is one "type" - not each attribute raised. The same applies to super skills, super Edges, etc.)"

So, you get the total cost for Super Edges, and then apply the modifier for Device.

www.peginc.com
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Requires Activation Reply with quote

How long can you 'hold' a power up after you activate it? for example the Human Torch activates his flame armor and enters a warehouse, then he gets surprised by a gang banger with a pistol. If he is surprised does his armor not count?

- Dave Foley
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Requires Activation Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
How long can you 'hold' a power up after you activate it? for example the Human Torch activates his flame armor and enters a warehouse, then he gets surprised by a gang banger with a pistol. If he is surprised does his armor not count?

If he's activated his armor is he really surprised someone attacked him? Wink

Seriously though, his armor still counts. "Requires Activation" applies if the character is surprised without the power previously activated.

It's a case of the character could be surprised without the power up, not if the character is surprised, the power is not up.

I allow powers that Require Activation to stay up unless the character is Incapacitated or unconscious. I also usually make sure they have a noticeable effect, so the character can't just turn it on at the beginning of the day and keep it up without the power being obvious.

www.peginc.com
algorond
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: NE - Question about 2 super powers. Reply with quote

Greetings, we played our 3rd NE session this weekend and so far it is going very well.

But having a Super Sorcerer in our group means that I have to deal with every damn power in the book, and there are lots of them Smile

I’ve studied this thread and a new FAQ, but didn’t find the answers to my questions, so I figured that I need advice from a rules guru.
So, here they are:

1) Burrowing – then a super villain burrows through the earth, (or more hard substances with the appropriate modifier) does this “tunnel” he creates disappear? I figured it should be, or my characters would start to use burrow to get through steel doors and such very easily by following the burrowing villain.
And can you borrow vertically?

2) Matter Control – I’m not sure about how it works, but my player (That resourceful bastard with SS Smile
Wanted to “meld” a brick wall with it, by shaping the bricks to make a hole wild enough for the party to go through. As far as I understand, it could be done this way, or I missed something?
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: [NE] Power Armor Reply with quote

[NE] Power Armor

My character's name is Prometheus and he is a titan. He wears a suit of powered armor that looks like a Centurian mixed with Iron man. He is also a Sorceror Supreme who likes to fly standing upright and use Illusion with the photographic modifier to make himself look like a god.

Ok, so my rules question is this: I have purchased Armor 2, with the Hardened Armor modifier added on. Cost of 4 points so far, minus one from the device, and then from the example of Zero (in the NE book pg 31) I would assume another one off for a total of 2 points?

I argue that I still get the slow activation because I do not wear the armor all the time. I am also a regular guy (with sorceror supreme powers) while not wearing the armor and I could get jumped that way, so I think I deserve the extra point off. I wear the armor all the time in front of my fellow villains just so they think I'm a God.

- Dave Foley
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NE - Question about 2 super powers. Reply with quote

algorond wrote:
1) Burrowing – then a super villain burrows through the earth, (or more hard substances with the appropriate modifier) does this “tunnel” he creates disappear? I figured it should be, or my characters would start to use burrow to get through steel doors and such very easily by following the burrowing villain.
And can you borrow vertically?

Typically, there's no "tunnel" from Burrowing. However, if the character is going through something that is less than 1 game inch in depth (6 feet), I don't see a big issue following him.

Remember to go through steel doors and the like, the character has to devote 5 PPs to Burrowing. That's a significant expenditure for a blatantly obvious entrance. Wink

algorond wrote:
2) Matter Control – I’m not sure about how it works, but my player (That resourceful bastard with SS Smile
Wanted to “meld” a brick wall with it, by shaping the bricks to make a hole wild enough for the party to go through. As far as I understand, it could be done this way, or I missed something?

As long as it is within his weight, he should be able to do it.

Couple of things to keep in mind.

Any use of Matter Control, even maintaining a hole, requires an action, and without the Bind Modifier, there's no "fine control."

And the second thing is that he makes his Spellcasting roll whenever he wants to change out his powers. While he probably has a d12 or better in Spellcasting, it never gets any better than a 1 in 12 chance of all of his powers dropping and him being Shaken whenever he casts a new spell. Even if it just means he has to spend a Benny to reroll, it has still cost him a Benny.

www.peginc.com
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[NE] Spellcasting roll of one

When you get shaken from rolling the one and you drop all your 'spells' does it affect all your powers if your background and character concept are all magic based?

Example: The Sorceror (NE book, pg 57) has his Awareness activated, decides to change into an Altered form (3 points). He rolls a one on this, and gets shaken - does his Awareness drop as well?

- Dave Foley
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
[NE] Spellcasting roll of one

When you get shaken from rolling the one and you drop all your 'spells' does it affect all your powers if your background and character concept are all magic based?

Example: The Sorceror (NE book, pg 57) has his Awareness activated, decides to change into an Altered form (3 points). He rolls a one on this, and gets shaken - does his Awareness drop as well?

Nope. It only affects powers via Super-Sorcery.

Though, a player could take that as some form of trapping for his other powers with a minor advantage to balance it out.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: [NE] Power Armor Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
[NE] Power Armor

My character's name is Prometheus and he is a titan. He wears a suit of powered armor that looks like a Centurian mixed with Iron man. He is also a Sorceror Supreme who likes to fly standing upright and use Illusion with the photographic modifier to make himself look like a god.

Ok, so my rules question is this: I have purchased Armor 2, with the Hardened Armor modifier added on. Cost of 4 points so far, minus one from the device, and then from the example of Zero (in the NE book pg 31) I would assume another one off for a total of 2 points?

I argue that I still get the slow activation because I do not wear the armor all the time. I am also a regular guy (with sorceror supreme powers) while not wearing the armor and I could get jumped that way, so I think I deserve the extra point off. I wear the armor all the time in front of my fellow villains just so they think I'm a God.

Well, as always, it's the GM's call.

Personally, I wouldn't allow Slow Activation in that case either. It's a modifier related to the time it takes to activate the power when needed, not whether the character always has access to the power. That's inherent in the Device modifier alone. Unlike an intrinisic power, a power in a Device will not always be with the character.

Also as it says in the book, if the power is basically always on and ready to go, then Slow Activation doesn't apply. If the character wears the armor around the other villains (read PCs), then only time he wouldn't wear it would be when the GM has to separate him from the other PCs, which just makes it harder for the GM to run the game in order to make Slow Activation as much of an issue as it should be.

However, instead of just disallowing it outright, I'd discuss options with the player to make it a viable penalty without undue hardship in running the game.

For instance, the easiest solution is for the character to interact with the other PCs both in and out of the armor. Now, this doesn't mean the characters realize they are dealing with the same person, so Prometheus could maintain his visions of Godhood. So in armor, it would be Prometheus, member of the Omega cell, and out of armor, it could be Larry Ivers, Prometheus' apprentice/familiar, who keeps him apprised of what the Omega cell is doing while Prometheus is off handling "God stuff."

Anyway, it all comes down to player/GM communication to me.

www.peginc.com
algorond
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: NE - Question about 2 super powers. Reply with quote

algorond wrote:
Wanted to “meld” a brick wall with it, by shaping the bricks to make a hole wild enough for the party to go through. As far as I understand, it could be done this way, or I missed something.

Clint wrote:

Any use of Matter Control, even maintaining a hole, requires an action, and without the Bind Modifier, there's no "fine control."?

Maintaining a hole? I was under impression that "melded" part of the wall would stay in it's melded state then the villain decides to stop using matter control.

Also, I'm not really sure about Tougness 10 restriction. Does this means that MC can't affect high toughness things like tanks, or heavy armored doors (I figured out that they should have at least 30(15) toughess)

And if so, does the armor counts for total tougness of these items?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Algarond,

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for answer until after Con on the Cob. Clint is the NE guru around here. I know it's a pain in the butt, but it's one of the few times we can't get you a quick answer.

Wiggy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: NE - Question about 2 super powers. Reply with quote

algorond wrote:
algorond wrote:
Wanted to “meld” a brick wall with it, by shaping the bricks to make a hole wild enough for the party to go through. As far as I understand, it could be done this way, or I missed something.

Clint wrote:

Any use of Matter Control, even maintaining a hole, requires an action, and without the Bind Modifier, there's no "fine control."?

Maintaining a hole? I was under impression that "melded" part of the wall would stay in it's melded state then the villain decides to stop using matter control.

Well, I figured if the character was going to use Matter Control to make a hole then intent would be to close the hole after everyone was through. While people move through, it would need to be "maintained."

If they just wanted to create a self-sustaining hole, then unless the character has Knowledge (Engineering) or the Bind Modifier (for fine control), I'd probably require a Smarts roll to create a hole in a support wall that would stay around without collapsing on itself.

algorond wrote:
[Also, I'm not really sure about Tougness 10 restriction. Does this means that MC can't affect high toughness things like tanks, or heavy armored doors (I figured out that they should have at least 30(15) toughess)

And if so, does the armor counts for total tougness of these items?

Toughness 10 isn't a restriction. Weight of the object is the main restriction. The Toughness 10 is the protection granted when covering the area of a Medium Burst Template.

The weight is going to be the issue with something like a tank. The Abrams weighs in the area of 60-70 tons, which makes it pretty much impossible to get enough levels of Matter Control (at 5 tons per level) to affect a tank.

This reply might also help with some answers on Matter Control...

Previous Answer

www.peginc.com
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question regards the Elemental Tricks in Necessary Evil. Let's say my radioactive supervillain The Glow can surround himself with an aura of radiation (Damage Field) out of which he fires off bolts of energy (Attack, Ranged). Would I have to purchase the radiation Elemental Trick separately for each of the powers, or could I purchase it just once?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
My question regards the Elemental Tricks in Necessary Evil. Let's say my radioactive supervillain The Glow can surround himself with an aura of radiation (Damage Field) out of which he fires off bolts of energy (Attack, Ranged). Would I have to purchase the radiation Elemental Trick separately for each of the powers, or could I purchase it just once?

Once per power.

Look at it this way, The Glow's energy bolts are generated by his radioactive aura, but they're not radioactive enough to cause long term radiation sickness.

Wiggy
rvillard
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: NE - regeneration and Fatigue Reply with quote

Does Regeneration take care of fatigue "wounds"? I made a tough True regenerator, and got smoked by non-lethal damage ranged weapons through taking me down through fatigue levels (one-at-a-time). Is there no way out of this? Would Absorb (kinetic) help out? I'm getting some new powers soon, and hopefully there is something to take care of this Tragic Flaw.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NE - regeneration and Fatigue Reply with quote

rvillard wrote:
Does Regeneration take care of fatigue "wounds"? I made a tough True regenerator, and got smoked by non-lethal damage ranged weapons through taking me down through fatigue levels (one-at-a-time). Is there no way out of this? Would Absorb (kinetic) help out? I'm getting some new powers soon, and hopefully there is something to take care of this Tragic Flaw.

You'd have to check with your GM because I don't know what kind of weapon he has created to do Fatigue.

Possibly, it could simply be a misunderstanding of the rules in that non-lethal damage still does Wounds not levels of Fatigue. The only difference is that going to Incapacitation just knocks the character out.

Anyway, without knowing I'm afraid there's not much I could recommend. My best guess would be to look at some form of the Immunity power.

www.peginc.com
rvillard
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply, I'll discuss this with the rest of our players and him
cheers
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: [Rippers] Opium Reply with quote

Let's say a character has lost 4 points of reason from having the Rippers Psychosis at character creation, and he decides that he wants to smoke some opium. Can he keep smokin' opium balls and making Spirit rolls until he has reduced this -4 to a 0 or is there some sort of limit?

- Dave Foley
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: [Rippers] Opium Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
Let's say a character has lost 4 points of reason from having the Rippers Psychosis at character creation, and he decides that he wants to smoke some opium. Can he keep smokin' opium balls and making Spirit rolls until he has reduced this -4 to a 0 or is there some sort of limit?

There's no limit, but he should have developed the Major Habit Hindrance by that stage Smile

Wiggy
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok some NE questions

The first I posted elsewhere and realized it should have been here so just a repeat. Feel free to delete the other topic.

Ok under the Parry power modifier Catch and Throw it says that to throw a caught object is a free action. Now is catching it also a free action or do you need to be on hold to attempt a catch? I'm assuming its free but just wanting an official clarification.

Now this question kinda affects alot of my next ones. I've seen mention of linking powers in this and other threads. Officially only one I see that can do it is paralyze which is a +4 mod to add it to a ranged attack. What I'm looking to do seems to be more of a limitation so was wondering if they merit a cost reduction.

Such as...

Linked (-1) this power is tied to other power and blah blah.

for example what I'm looking to do is...

ALTERED FORM (3)
Trappings: Noxious Gas
More Elastic(+1)
Requires Activation(-1)

Flight(2)
Trappings:
Floating gas
Linked(-1) May only be used when in Altered Form
Infection (2)
Trappings:
Noxious Gas
Linked(-1) May only be used in Altered Form
Strong (x2)
Immunity (4) Kinetic
Trappings:Gaseous form
Immunity (4) Slashing
Trappings:Gaseous form

With this power I come to 12 points. Only the altered form requires the activation..once on all the others are on of course the Infection still takes a touch attack. Is the Linked mod too much? too little? should it come before or after the doubling of strong?

EDIT:Are Kinetic and Slashing viable options for Immunity? They are for abosrbtion but for immunity I see more specific examples...such as steel, wood etc.

btw I'm trying to reproduce a particular comic character with these so...heres the next example.

Attack, Melee (2)
Trappings:
Whip-like tendrils appearing from back of hand.
Knockback(+2)
Reach(+2)

Ensnare(3)
Trappings:
Whip-like tendrils appearing from back of hand.
Stronger(+3)
Linked(-1):
May only be used in conjunction with Attack, Melee

With this power it would appear you could do it with the powers seperately. What I was thinking is that this way you could ensare with the extra reach from Attack, Melee without purchasing ranged Attack for Ensnare. Which is farther than I want to ensare anyway do to trappings. Also this would add the extra damage from Attack, Melee like you had grappled the opponent.

This also bring up the question of..Does Ensnare cause damage like grappling? I guess not since it has no mention of it but would you allow it for the power I designed.I guess maybe it would just be combining one roll for Attack, Melee and Ensnare with just effects of snare continuing until opponent breaks free or I let them loose.

Does this one make sense at all? too powerful? allowing one roll for both I mean? any suggestions are welcome.

This also brought up a general SW question for me but I considered using it as part of the trappings for this power. Where are stats for a Whip? I have SW revised and NE and can find it in neither.

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 35 of 36

Jump to: