Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All SW Core Rules Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: All SW Core Rules Questions Reply with quote

[Edit: This thread has been moved to this topic for referential purposes. It cannot be replied to any longer. Start a new thread in this topic to ask questions.)

For questions pertaining to a rule from a book outside of the core rules (such as a setting book or toolkit), go to this link, http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=62.

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:51 am; edited 5 times in total
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I`ll start. It is from my today`s game. If the character has Detect Arcana, can he use this spell and learn what is his relio ( got it from relic adventure card) and what power/powers has his relic ? Nothing powerful, but I want to make it a little mysterious Smile
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Ramel Korys wrote:
OK, so I`ll start. It is from my today`s game. If the character has Detect Arcana, can he use this spell and learn what is his relio ( got it from relic adventure card) and what power/powers has his relic ? Nothing powerful, but I want to make it a little mysterious Smile

The book states it can sense enchantments on items. How accurate that sense is depends on the setting, trappings, and mostly GM's decision.

It could be as vague as, "Yes, it's enchanted." Or it could be an exact breakdown of abilities. Or it could be somewhere in between.

A reasonable solution might be to allow a simple success to know the item is enchanted while a raise tells one specific ability of the item. Like trying to break through a concealment, it requires a fresh casting to learn additional abilities.

Of course, you can always have concealment on an item to hide certain abilities if you want to keep it more mysterious.

Personally, I'd be more of the "a success just tells you it's enchanted, and a raise tells you the general power level" school of thought. Specific abilties would only be discovered through use, roleplaying, (and perhaps other cards in the Adventure Deck).

But ultimately, the details depend on the individual game.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question seems to come up often, so a quick explanation of how Heavy Weapons and Armor interact with normal.

Heavy Armor allows you to ignore normal weapon damage, but not Heavy Weapon damage. Heavy Weapon is just a designator of what can affect Heavy Armor.

So the breakdown is...

Normal damage vs. normal armor does damage normally
Heavy Weapon vs. normal armor does damage normally
Normal damage vs. Heavy Armor does NO damage
Heavy Weapon vs. Heavy Armor does damage normally

www.peginc.com
Tomahawk
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of rules questions:

Savage Worlds, revised, p. 57 "Leveling Up" reads, "...Increase one attribute by a die type.*

*You may only choose this option once per rank..."

Does this mean that that only one attribute can be increased one die type per rank, or each attribute can be increased one die type per rank (every time you level up - so by the time you become "seasoned" you could have potentially raised 4 attributes by a die type)?

Second question:

Savage Worlds, revised, p. 68 "Damage Effects" reads, "A raise on the damage roll means the victim is wounded."

Would a raise on damage be rolling 4 over the Toughness (example - target has a Toughness of 5, a raise would be rolling 9 for damage)?

Thanks,
Tomahawk
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomahawk wrote:
I have a couple of rules questions:

Savage Worlds, revised, p. 57 "Leveling Up" reads, "...Increase one attribute by a die type.*

*You may only choose this option once per rank..."

Does this mean that that only one attribute can be increased one die type per rank, or each attribute can be increased one die type per rank (every time you level up - so by the time you become "seasoned" you could have potentially raised 4 attributes by a die type)?

From Shark Bytes #1:

Q: The rulebook makes it seem like you can raise only one attribute once per Rank, while the new Test Drive Rules make it seem like you can raise an attribute at each advancement opportunity, so long as a different attribute is raised each time. Which is correct?

A: You can raise only one attribute once per Rank. So, for example, if you raise your Strength from d6 to d8 after attaining 5 Experience Points, you may not raise another attribute until you earn 20 Experience Points (Seasoned Rank). The Test Drive Rules have been revised to reflect this.

Please note Clint's initial post as to where to check for an answer before posting here. Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomahawk wrote:
Second question:

Savage Worlds, revised, p. 68 "Damage Effects" reads, "A raise on the damage roll means the victim is wounded."

Would a raise on damage be rolling 4 over the Toughness (example - target has a Toughness of 5, a raise would be rolling 9 for damage)?

Yep. It follows the basic rules for raises as described in the book. Every 4 points higher over what you need for basic success is a raise. Your example is perfectly correct.

www.peginc.com
Chris Tavares
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

This is probably a pretty silly question, and I'm pretty sure I've got it right, but I'd love to hear it explicitly stated somewhere.

The rules say an unskilled roll is done at d4-2. For wild cards, does this mean:

1) Roll a d4, roll a d6, take the better of the two, and subtract 2 from the final result

or

2) Roll a d4-2, roll a d6, and take the better of the two.

I've always assumed it was #1, but I've never been quite sure.

Thanks!

-Chris
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Tavares wrote:
1) Roll a d4, roll a d6, take the better of the two, and subtract 2 from the final result

or

2) Roll a d4-2, roll a d6, and take the better of the two.

I've always assumed it was #1, but I've never been quite sure.

Your assumption was correct. All skills, for which a character has not paid skill points or taken advances for, are rated at d4. They still get their Wild Die. On top of it all, any unskilled attempt imposes a -2 penalty to the die total (in addition to any other modifiers that may apply).
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's one that always confuses me ...

In the Powers section, under Disruption, the book states "A character who is actively maintaining a power may be disrupted if he suffers damage." Does this also apply to Powers that aren't being maintained, but are in their initial duration, or does it only apply to Powers that the caster is spending additional Power Points to keep up?

Ex. On Round 1, my mage casts Armor on himself (Duration: 3 (1/round), . On Round 2, he is hit for X amount of damage. Does he need to roll and see if Armor stays up, or would he only have to roll if the damage came on Round 4 or later?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
In the Powers section, under Disruption, the book states "A character who is actively maintaining a power may be disrupted if he suffers damage." Does this also apply to Powers that aren't being maintained, but are in their initial duration, or does it only apply to Powers that the caster is spending additional Power Points to keep up?

Ex. On Round 1, my mage casts Armor on himself (Duration: 3 (1/round), . On Round 2, he is hit for X amount of damage. Does he need to roll and see if Armor stays up, or would he only have to roll if the damage came on Round 4 or later?

Only after Round 4. That's why Disruption is under the section on Maintaining Powers. It only comes into effect for powers that are being actively maintained.

www.peginc.com
Mr.Joel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Only after Round 4. That's why Disruption is under the section on Maintaining Powers. It only comes into effect for powers that are being actively maintained.

Likewise with the 1 on arcane skill for maintained powers, right?

What if the caster of, say, Boost Strength on your fighter should be killed right after the casting? Do you get the full 3 rounds?

Thanks!

--Mr. Joel
Ian
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The healing skill takes 10 minutes and can not be used in combat.
Magical healing can be used in combat.
When a character is bleeding out, it says that a healing roll can be used to stabilise the character. One of my players asked if that healing roll can only be magical or can you use a normal heal skill (ie maintain pressure to reduce bleeding). If you can use normal healing does the healer have to stay with the wounded character for one round or ten minutes or until the combat ends.
The player is a doctor (speciality - haematology) but felt that it would be better to allow for the option that gives greater character survivability.
(go away nasty realism - aaarrrgh, must wash out mouth) Ian
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Joel wrote:
Clint wrote:

Likewise with the 1 on arcane skill for maintained powers, right?

Yes.

Mr.Joel wrote:
What if the caster of, say, Boost Strength on your fighter should be killed right after the casting? Do you get the full 3 rounds?

Yes.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
The healing skill takes 10 minutes and can not be used in combat.
Magical healing can be used in combat.
When a character is bleeding out, it says that a healing roll can be used to stabilise the character. One of my players asked if that healing roll can only be magical or can you use a normal heal skill (ie maintain pressure to reduce bleeding). If you can use normal healing does the healer have to stay with the wounded character for one round or ten minutes or until the combat ends.
The player is a doctor (speciality - haematology) but felt that it would be better to allow for the option that gives greater character survivability.
(go away nasty realism - aaarrrgh, must wash out mouth) Ian

The Healing skill can only be used to "treat" a character outside of combat, meaning to change their would level or Incapacitated status.

A successful Healing skill roll will stabilize a character as described under Bleeding Out. It's a secondary and separate use of the skill that takes an action to perform. This use does not heal any wounds or cause the target to stop being Incapacitated; all it does is end the Vigor rolls for Bleeding Out.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banjo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Shaken & Bennies Reply with quote

You can use a bennie to remove a Shaken condition.

What happens in this situation Question
Boris has a toughness of 7 and is attacked by two Orcs. The first Orc attacks and does 8 damage, shaking Boris. The second Orc attacks and also does 8 damage, producing another shaken which should produce 1 wound and a shaken result.

Can Boris spend a bennie after the second shaken result, but before it is converted to a wound, and remove his shaken condition - in effect nullifying both attacks Question

Cheers, Chris
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaken & Bennies Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:
You can use a bennie to remove a Shaken condition.

What happens in this situation Question
Boris has a toughness of 7 and is attacked by two Orcs. The first Orc attacks and does 8 damage, shaking Boris. The second Orc attacks and also does 8 damage, producing another shaken which should produce 1 wound and a shaken result.

Can Boris spend a bennie after the second shaken result, but before it is converted to a wound, and remove his shaken condition - in effect nullifying both attacks Question

No. Because the second result is not a Shaken as long as Boris is already Shaken. It's never "converted" to a Wound; it's automatically a Wound if he is already Shaken.

Boris can spend his Benny to remove his Shaken condition before the result is applied. In which case, the second damage no longer causes a Wound because he is not Shaken, but he is Shaken again by the second attack.

Or he can wait and spend the Benny after the Wound with the option to Soak if he wishes.

www.peginc.com
Mechpilot
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought these two topics worthy of an official ruling.

What are the stats for a whip?

When does the unarmed defender rule apply? (e.g. If a character is wielding a hand gun does it apply?)
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechpilot wrote:
I thought these two topics worthy of an official ruling.

What are the stats for a whip?

"Officially," there are none. It's not listed in any "official" book or Savage Tale I know of, so there is no "official" answer... yet.

Even if I suggested stats, they wouldn't be official (unless it later gets published by GWG). There have been plenty of suggestions on the forum and elsewhere; I would just say use what you like.

Me? I'd go with something like...

Whip
Damage: Str+1
Reach 1
Parry -1
+2 to Disarm
Can Grapple at range

But it ain't "official." Wink

Mechpilot wrote:
When does the unarmed defender rule apply? (e.g. If a character is wielding a hand gun does it apply?)

From the book...

Quote:
If one character has a melee weapon and his foe doesn't, the opponent is considered unarmed and is very likely in a world of hurt. Since he can only dodge and evade rather than parry, any armed attacker trying to hit him may add +2 to his Fighting roll.

Thus "unarmed" is clearly defined as "one character has a melee weapon and his foe doesn't..."

Now, the GM has to decide whether a pistol or rifle is a melee weapon capable of parrying. The book only lists them as ranged weapons, but then the main book is only covering the basics or ranged and melee weapons.

Personally, I'd say...

Pistol: Str+1; Parry -1
Rifle: Str+2

For now, it's the GM's call. I'll look into an official ruling on ranged weapons used as melee weapons when I return.

www.peginc.com
joker
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got all the rules pretty much down pat and love the SW system. The only question I have is about wounds. I think I have read the Knockout Blow section on page 68 of the SWR a hundred times, but it still doesn't seem to gel with me. Could someone give me a full step by step explanation on how this works?

I know this question has probably been asked a billion times, but I could not find any other posts about it so I figured I would ask here. Sorry for the noob question Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 1 of 42

Jump to: