Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All SW Core Rules Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Actions which can/can;t be part of a multiple actions Reply with quote

Aim - "...spends a full round aiming (no movement allowed)..."
Defend - " .. only regular action is to defend .. may move normally"

So, if you defend, you can move, you can't draw a sword and defend, or run etc.

with aim, you can't move; can you reload and aim? can you ready and aim? could you fast-draw a wpn and aim?

basically does "a full round" mean no other actions, or no other free actions (which would include movement, since moving is a free action), or does it just mean no movement
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Actions which can/can;t be part of a multiple actions Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:

with aim, you can't move; can you reload and aim? can you ready and aim? could you fast-draw a wpn and aim?

basically does "a full round" mean no other actions, or no other free actions (which would include movement, since moving is a free action), or does it just mean no movement

A "full round" means no other regular actions.

In short, Defend and Aim are pretty much the same with the added restriction that the character can't move when Aiming.

And that is the only free action restricted when Aiming, so if a character had the Quick Draw Edge (which effectively makes drawing a weapon a free action), then they could draw a weapon and Aim in the same round as long as they didn't move or perform any other regular action.

www.peginc.com
bayushi_shogo
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Errata Reply with quote

Well I've tried the search...but no luck...and I'm 90% sure that I read that here...but I will ask again because can't find it now...

Edge wizard: If you get a raise you get -1 power point...you need to have the power points before cast it...but...And that's the question...Can you get a 0 cost spell !! a very luck roll that get enought raises ? (it happens in my last game and I'll have said no...minimun 1... but prefer to ear the official one for that)

Thanks... (only one more to finish Evernight and still having doubts )
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Errata Reply with quote

bayushi_shogo wrote:
Well I've tried the search...but no luck...and I'm 90% sure that I read that here...but I will ask again because can't find it now...

Edge wizard: If you get a raise you get -1 power point...you need to have the power points before cast it...but...And that's the question...Can you get a 0 cost spell !! a very luck roll that get enought raises ? (it happens in my last game and I'll have said no...minimun 1... but prefer to ear the official one for that)

Thanks... (only one more to finish Evernight and still having doubts )

Wizard can reduce the cost of a spell to 0. So it can effectively make a spell "free."

www.peginc.com
SavageDaniel
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

can you help me with this one?

Mentalist gives +2 on any opposed psionics rolls. Does this include Spirit rolls for some spells or just the skill 'psionics'?

Sorry if this has been asked before...
Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would the money stack up if a player took Rich, Filthy Rich, and Noble? Filthy Rich upgrades either Rich or Noble, so would the amount of the other one stack? IIRC, Rich and Noble both triple your starting money, and upgraded to Filthy Rich, your starting money is x5. With all three would your starting money be x8?

Printfection Store! Tons of new designs and styles
CafePress Store!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageDaniel wrote:
Hi guys,

can you help me with this one?

Mentalist gives +2 on any opposed psionics rolls. Does this include Spirit rolls for some spells or just the skill 'psionics'?

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Not a problem, and it hasn't. Wink

The bonus applies on any opposed Psionics roll. That means any Opposed Roll where Psionics is used by one (or both) of the parties. As long as it is an Opposed Roll and Psionics is one of the Traits being rolled by someone, the Mentalist gets his bonus.

For example...

Mentalist using Puppet power on someone gets the +2 bonus.

Another AB: Psionics character using Puppet on the Mentalist, they get the bonus to their Spirit roll for resistance since it is opposing the Psionics skill.

An AB: Magic character using Puppet on the Mentalist, the Mentalist gets no bonus as it is Spellcasting instead of Psionics versus Spirit.

Hope this clears things up.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Evil Model: D wrote:
How would the money stack up if a player took Rich, Filthy Rich, and Noble? Filthy Rich upgrades either Rich or Noble, so would the amount of the other one stack? IIRC, Rich and Noble both triple your starting money, and upgraded to Filthy Rich, your starting money is x5. With all three would your starting money be x8?

Not unless the GM makes it some kind of house rule. Otherwise, it simply can't be done.

No Edge can be taken more than once unless it specifically states that it is allowed. Since the Noble Edge specifically gives the character the Rich Edge, a character can't have both Noble and Rich by the book. Or to be more specific, a character with Noble already has Rich, so it can't be taken again.

Hope that clears things up.

www.peginc.com
Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

Not unless the GM makes it some kind of house rule. Otherwise, it simply can't be done.

No Edge can be taken more than once unless it specifically states that it is allowed. Since the Noble Edge specifically gives the character the Rich Edge, a character can't have both Noble and Rich by the book. Or to be more specific, a character with Noble already has Rich, so it can't be taken again.

Okay, that makes sense. Now, is the Charismatic edge counted this way too? Noble grants +2 Charisma, but doesn't specifically say "Charismatic Edge". Can Charismatic be stacked with Noble?

Printfection Store! Tons of new designs and styles
CafePress Store!
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Evil Model: D wrote:
Clint wrote:

Okay, that makes sense. Now, is the Charismatic edge counted this way too? Noble grants +2 Charisma, but doesn't specifically say "Charismatic Edge". Can Charismatic be stacked with Noble?

Yup. Two different Edges, so the effects stack.

Wiggy
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Opposed Rolls and Powers Reply with quote

When using a Power that allows for an opposed roll, a Raise is determined by adding 4 to what the caster would need to succeed, correct? So if the defender rolled an 8, the caster would have to roll at least a 13 to achieve a raise?

Also, what happens in the case of a tie? Do they both make rolls again on the caster's next turn?

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Opposed Rolls and Powers Reply with quote

cpk666 wrote:
When using a Power that allows for an opposed roll, a Raise is determined by adding 4 to what the caster would need to succeed, correct? So if the defender rolled an 8, the caster would have to roll at least a 13 to achieve a raise?

Also, what happens in the case of a tie? Do they both make rolls again on the caster's next turn?

Actually, this has been changed.* The TN for the "defender" in an Opposed Roll equals the roll of the acting character. In short, defenders win a "tie."

So as the acting character, if the caster rolled a 13 on his Spellcasting roll, then the target needs a 13 to beat it, and if the target gets a 9 or less (4 points less than 13), then the caster has a raise over them.

Hope this helps!

* This has been added to the errata thread above.

www.peginc.com
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Actions which can/can;t be part of a multiple actions Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
ogbendog wrote:

A "full round" means no other regular actions.

In short, Defend and Aim are pretty much the same with the added restriction that the character can't move when Aiming.

And that is the only free action restricted when Aiming, so if a character had the Quick Draw Edge (which effectively makes drawing a weapon a free action), then they could draw a weapon and Aim in the same round as long as they didn't move or perform any other regular action.

if someone had hte marksmen edge, could they reload, aim, and shoot a crossbow? +2 for marksmen, -2 for multiple actions?
or Ready a throwing weapon, aim, and throw at +0?

or if they had Quick draw, ready as a free actoin, aim as a free action, and throw at +2?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Actions which can/can;t be part of a multiple actions Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
if someone had hte marksmen edge, could they reload, aim, and shoot a crossbow? +2 for marksmen, -2 for multiple actions?

Theoretically, but as I said earlier, the GM could ask for an Agility roll to reload the weapon and fire in the same round, so while the shot would be at no penalty (+2-2), the Agility roll would be at -2 for the MAP.

Still, as long as a character has Marksman and doesn't use any movement in a round, then they act as if they aimed.

ogbendog wrote:
or Ready a throwing weapon, aim, and throw at +0?

or if they had Quick draw, ready as a free actoin, aim as a free action, and throw at +2?

By the book, there is one initial problem with these examples; a character can only Aim with Shooting, not Throwing. But if a GM were to allow it (as some do), then the examples are fairly accurate.

www.peginc.com
Baksartha
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clint,

Thanks for making the errata thread! I appreciate it.

I have a question about Fatigue. How long can a character physically exert himself before he becomes Fatigued (and then subsequently Exhausted)?

Thanks!
Being1
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Opposed Rolls and Powers Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
cpk666 wrote:

Actually, this has been changed.* The TN for the "defender" in an Opposed Roll equals the roll of the acting character. In short, defenders win a "tie."

So as the acting character, if the caster rolled a 13 on his Spellcasting roll, then the target needs a 13 to beat it, and if the target gets a 9 or less (4 points less than 13), then the caster has a raise over them.

Hope this helps!

* This has been added to the errata thread above.

Huh?! If the Target rolls a 9, the caster needs 10 to succeed. Wouldn't this mean that the caster needs 14 for a raise?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baksartha wrote:
I have a question about Fatigue. How long can a character physically exert himself before he becomes Fatigued (and then subsequently Exhausted)?

Sorry, but there's no "official" answer here. The core rulebook doesn't cover Fatigue due to exertion alone because exertion isn't based on an external factor. In other words, a character without food can't eat, but a character who is just exerting himself can slow down for a moment or stop pushing himself.

If it's one of those "dramatically appropriate" situations, the GM would just need to make a call. I'd recommend basing extreme exertion off the rules for Cold, but that would be "extreme," meaning the character is constantly pushing himself during that time.

Hope that helps, but if you want more detail, you might see what the open forum can come up with.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Opposed Rolls and Powers Reply with quote

Being1 wrote:
Huh?! If the Target rolls a 9, the caster needs 10 to succeed. Wouldn't this mean that the caster needs 14 for a raise?

Hmm, think of it this way...

In an Opposed roll, the lower result is the TN that the higher result had to beat. It doesn't matter who has the higher or lower result. In the event of a tie, the defender wins.

www.peginc.com
Being1
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Opposed Rolls and Powers Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Being1 wrote:

Hmm, think of it this way...

In an Opposed roll, the lower result is the TN that the higher result had to beat. It doesn't matter who has the higher or lower result. In the event of a tie, the defender wins.

By definition of "Target", the "Target" will always be the defender. So if a caster casts the "Lower Trait" spell on a target and the target rolls a 9 on his Spirit roll, the caster would have to roll a 10 to beat it. Therefore 10 is the TN and 14 (10+4) would be required for a raise NOT 13! If there is something about that that's wrong, please explain what PART of my explanation is wrong and why.
Being1
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a couple of clarifications though.

Scenario 1:
A spellcaster with the Wizard Edge casts Lower Trait on an opponent, rolling 14. The opponent rolls a Spirit roll of 9 to resist. Lower Trait has a base cost of 3. Would the Wizard Edge reduce the cost to 1 due to 2 raises over a TN of 4 or would the spell cost 2 due to 1 raise over a TN of 9?

Scenario 2:
A spellcaster with the Wizard Edge casts the Bolt spell (3 bolts of 3d6 each). This normally costs 6 PP. There's not one, but 3 spellcasting rolls involved, although they share a Wild Die. The spellcaster rolls 15, 8, and 7 on the spellcasting rolls. I believe it would cost 3 PP:
Each bolt would cost 2PP, but the Wizard Edge would reduce the cost of the 1st bolt to 0 due to 2(+) raises. The cost of the second bolt would be reduced to 1 due to a raise and the last bolt would be at normal cost. Therefore the total cost for the spell would be 3PP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 41 of 42

Jump to: