Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of Dodge in Savage Worlds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Lack of Dodge in Savage Worlds Reply with quote

I just got the savage world system and have got the update for Wierd West, first I noticed was the lack of a dodge for shooting combat. In deadlands I liked the idea of a dodge, why was it removed for savage? If I wanted to do dodge in deadlands savage world how? just add a new skill called dodge?
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p31 - Dodge is an Edge. If you want everyone to have it simply allow it as a free Edge to everyone without cost; or consider it a skill and reword Improved Dodge to add a +2 bonus to the skill roll. The latter is how I'd do it. Wink

You'll also notice that Grit is gone as well. We simply allow a +1 Guts mod for each rank above Novice to simulate Grit.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of taking out Dodge is that you're supposed to use the cover provided by the bar/horse/ditch to avoid getting hit by bullets instead of trying to move faster than bullets/arrows/knives. But the Dodge Edges are there for folks who want to be "luckier" at avoiding missiles.

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Yeah, but.... Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll also notice that Grit is gone as well. We simply allow a +1 Guts mod for each rank above Novice to simulate Grit.

This is something I need to change before making the conversion to SW. I think grit should be earned on an adventure to adventure basis. With the nature of Deadlands, you could play a straight western game with just a touch of the weird. In that case a Legendary hero that hasn't faced a single zombie wouldn't stand a chance against a season hero that has faced zombies, dust devils, et al. and lived to tell the tale (and reduced the fear level too boot).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and unless your running a 'woo' type adventure, you can't dodge bullets or most arrows, just dive for cover and hope you get behind it.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah, but.... Reply with quote

skylion wrote:
Quote:

This is something I need to change before making the conversion to SW. I think grit should be earned on an adventure to adventure basis. With the nature of Deadlands, you could play a straight western game with just a touch of the weird. In that case a Legendary hero that hasn't faced a single zombie wouldn't stand a chance against a season hero that has faced zombies, dust devils, et al. and lived to tell the tale (and reduced the fear level too boot).

Grit's not even in SW - it's an add-on we use. In my games, if your Legendary and have never seen a Zombie than something's wrong - you've probably had your eyes closed Wink
Cethegus
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only played DL two or three times, but as i can remember Gunfights were allways relatively close combat... sometimes between Houses and Stables, but more often inside an Saloon or Crypt or Cave or something creepy Wink

I allways wondered what exactly is meant by "dodging" an bullet that is fired at you from only ... 6 or 12" away? Faster than sound movement? Confused

I think the SW way is much more likely ... you have an TN of 4 which represents the chance of the gunner to miss you, rather of yours to evade the shot. If the Battle takes place in more open field and opponents are further away from each other ... well just add the appropriate Penalties for the used weapon and Cover... and if you like add more Penalties for allready moving (riding, running, ...) targets... Its all up to your imagination anyway Laughing
Dieter
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cethegus wrote:

I allways wondered what exactly is meant by "dodging" an bullet that is fired at you from only ... 6 or 12" away? Faster than sound movement? Confused

My take on dodging bullets at short distances is more like your ability to psyche-out the shooter. Also, you have to take into consideration that while tokens/minis/counters are static on the gameboard, real combat is anything but static. It's assumed that in a life/death situation, the principles are moving about deke-ing/feigning their manuevers in the hopes of not getting stabbed or shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: