Since the release of the premier issue of Savage Worlds Explorer, we’ve been overwhelmed with enthusiastic questions about how to submit your own custom content to our new publication, and all we can say is thank you, and please keep those queries coming!
For those interested, here are all the deets about submissions directly from Savage Worlds Explorer Editor-in-Chief, Matt Cutter! Take it away, Matt!
“We’re so excited to see both new and established authors trying their hand at creating new content for Savage Worlds. Our view has gone a bit beyond our reach in some areas, and as a result, our small staff has been hard-pressed to keep up with the flood of responses. To keep things more manageable, we’re revising our submission guidelines a bit.
We’re learning as we go, and hoping to make the Savage Worlds Explorer a go-to resource for adventures, new creatures, and gear GMs can port directly to their game tables with a minimum of fuss.
- Licensee Settings: We don’t have the staff time or knowledge to competently edit the full range of Savage Licensee Settings at this time so queries must relate to game lines published directly by Pinnacle.
- New Rules: Savage Worlds is a tight yet comprehensive rules package, so we’re not seeking queries for new game rules or sub-systems. You are always welcome to submit your ideas (through the proper channels and with a waiver), but it’s not something we’re going to focus on in the Explorer.
We’re still looking for content…lots of it! So how can you increase the chances of seeing your writing in print? Be sure to put your best foot forward when you send a query. Submit a single, well-developed idea. Know Pinnacle Entertainment Group’s published material and style guide, and apply that knowledge…even to your query! Use American English spelling and grammar. This is a paid freelance opportunity, so just as you’d submit a perfect resume for that coveted job, craft your query e-mail to show us how well you write.
So what exactly are we looking for? Glad you asked:
- Adventures: No more than 5,000 words. Standalone Savage Tales for any of Pinnacle’s Savage Settings or Companions. Please note any maps or art needed.
- Creature Features: No more than 2,500 words. Include creature descriptions and statistics, along with ecology, legends, adventure seeds, or other information as appropriate.
- New Weapons, Gear, and Loot: No more than 2,000 words. Devoted to a single item or a compendium of related goods, and tailored to one Savage Setting.
Last but not least, how do you get your stuff into our hands? Just follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Read our guide to Writing for Pinnacle. Learn it. Know it. Live it.
Step 2: Send a query e-mail to me, Matthew Cutter briefly describing your idea (with a title), which Pinnacle Savage Setting it’s for, any illustrations or maps it might need, and any of your published credits, if applicable.
We hope to see YOU in the the pages of Savage Worlds Explorer!”